RECENT COMMISSIONS, RESIDENCIES, RESEARCH
Creative Capital Summer Intensive: August 2016 Guest artist. Artists from around the world and across the disciplines of visual, performing and literary arts gathered at the Brooklyn Academy of Music Fisher building for the first ever Creative Capital Summer Institute (CCSI). CCSI is a free, four-day professional development workshop and a unique opportunity for artists from New York to Lusaka Zambia to collaborate, share best practices and learn from prominent leaders working and living as artists today.http://blog.creative-capital.org/category/stories/
There will come soft rains (2016-2017) Commission from Los Angeles Percussion Quartet, Cory Hills, Eclipse String Quartet, Maggie Parkins, cellist, Ashley Bathgate, cellist BOAC, Dominique de Williencourt, cellist for 2017-2018 premiere Mojave Desert National Preserve, ZZYZX
Luminosity: Pierre’s Dissertation on Crystals (2016), Nicholas Isherwood, bass-baritone, premiered, Los Angeles, Germany, Philadelphia, New Zealand, Italy.
Visions of the Black Madonna of Montserrat (2015-6)-funded research/residency at Can Serrat, Montserrat, Barcelona, Spain to create set of etudes for solo piano, for pianists voice and projected images based on sound, resonance and healing. Premiered 2016.
New Music USA Award: https://www.newmusicusa.org/projects/luminous-etudes-visions-of-the-black-madonna-of-montserrat/ for Vibro-acoustic etudes for piano, voice, electronics, images, by composer Pamela Madsen, with pianists Kathleen Supové and Eleonor Sandresky
There will come soft rains is a multi-movement work for percussion commissioned by Cory Hills, solo percussion and spoken voice, Los Angeles Percussion Quartet, based on the poem There will come soft rains (1920) by poet Sarah Teasdale, the apocalyptic short story by science fiction author Ray Bradbury and The Land of Little Rain (1903) by Mary Hunter Austin about the American Southwest. The 20-minute multi-movement work will be premiered at Crystal Cove State Park, Laguna Beach, the new outdoor amphitheater on the ocean, during World Water Day in March 2017 and at ZZYZX, Cal State Fullerton Desert Studies Center, in the Mojave National Preserve and at other selected venues in the Los Angeles and Orange County area.
Into the Heart of the Earth, Guest composer in residence, Crystal Cove State Park, commissioned by Crystal Cove Alliance, Laguna Beach Alliance for the Arts, Mansour Family to create new work for Laguna Beach Concert Band for Grand Opening of Environmental Study Loop. Premiered, Feb. 1st, 2014.
Commissions for World Water Day, March 22, 2015 for new works premiered by Divan Consort’s Virginia Figueiredo, and the New Jazz SongBook.
- Duo for Prepared Pianos commissioned by Bugallo-Williams Piano Duo, premiered Spring 2010, multiple venues throughout US and Europe
- Reflections on the Living Sea, guest composer in residence, Laguna Beach Music Festival, created in collaboration with Greg MacGillvray (IMAX) for flute/electronics for ICE flutist Claire Chase, commissioned by Laguna Beach Music Festival,premiered January 2010.
- Hidden Leaves: Sea-Change, Here the frailest leaves of me , based on texts by Walter de la Mare, Emily Dickenson, commissioned by Verdehr Trio (violin, clarinet, piano) and Violin, piano duo, premiered October, 2009
Autumn Day, from Fallen: Cycle of Works for SATB Chorus and piano (2009)
- Commissioned by Cal State Fullerton University Singers for 50 th Anniversary Based on Rilke poems. Premiered May 10 th , 2009
The Singing of the Waves. . . . from the edges of the earth (2009)
- Commissioned and composed in collaboration with Jane Rigler, flutist and Anne LaBerge, flutist, premiered 2009, CSUF New Music Festival
Sedna, Multi-Media Opera for voice, ensemble, spatialized electronics and video projection (2008)
- With Snezana Petrovic, video artist in collaboration with Camille Seaman, photographer
- Commissioned by Zeitgeist Ensemble, Minneapolis, Minnesota for multiple performances during 2007-8 Season. Premiered February 2007 at Sparkfest, University of Minnesota, Women in New Music Festival, March 2007, Premiered for Meet the Composer, Minnesota Residency and Tour, 2008
To Bedlam and Part Way Back, Sexton cycle of works for voice, ensemble and electronics
- Commissioned by Zeitgeist and other ensembles. Lullaby Premiered March, 2007
The Sibyl Cycle (2004-6)
- The Sibyl Cycle is a collection of works based on ancient Sibylline chants and prophecies for solo voices, instrumental soloists, ensembles and spatialized electronic created in residence for Envisioning the Future Project with visual artist Judy Chicago in Los Angeles. WE ARE ALL SIBYLS interactive electroacoustic opera/installation is a contemporary adaptation of an ancient form of music-drama, which emphasized spectacular processions, music and drama to exploit architectural spaces with pageantry and display. WE ARE ALL SIBYLS reenacts the spectacle of the liturgical ritual while evoking a confessional interior dialogue through the used of spatialized electronics.